MAES-related developments in Poland
- In the years 2013-2017 the project Ecosystem services in young glacial landscape – assessment of resources, threats and utilization was carried out in Institute of Geography and Spatial Organization in Warsaw (Polish Academy of Sciences) and funded by National Science Centre in Krakow. The extended monography summarizes a project based on investigations on selected municipalities in North-eastern Poland (see the basic assumptions and research methodology).
- In the frame on implementing Ramsar Convention in Poland, the case study expertise rely on the valuation of ecosystem services in the Ramsar Site – Wigry National Park (July-November 2014) has been carry out.
- The mapping and assessment of ecosystems and their services on national level as the pilot has been completed in 2015 (see abstract). The project was realized as a contract of the Polish Ministry of Environment.
- In 2015 the project on Mapping and Assessment of Urban Ecosystems as the pilot has been completed. The Urban MAES deals with the strengthening the use of ES approach in the protection and development of green infrastructure in cities (see abstract).
- Since January 2015 Environmental Monitoring Programme in Poland is carrying out the programme covering mapping and assessment ES in different types of geoecosystems representative for the Polish landscape (see the agenda of the programme).
- In the years 2015-2018 the team from Adam Mickiewicz University participated in the project ESMERALDA (“Enhancing ecosystem services mapping for policy and decision making”) within Horizon 2020 Programme. The project aimed to deliver a flexible methodology for pan-European and regional assessments, as well as to share experience through a process of dialogue and knowledge co-creation.
- In July 2015 National Ecosystem Services Partnership Network in Poland has been established. The contact point works at Department of Integrated Geography of Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan. The Network webpage provides information about recent projects, upcoming events, and other news about MAES progress in Poland (see the page).
- In June 2017 National ESP Network in Poland, together with Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań and Office of Spatial Planning of the Wielkopolskie Voivodship, organized the conference “Ecosystem services in spatial planning”. This event was directed especially to representatives of public administration and stakeholders acting in spatial planning.
- In June 2017 the CONNECTING Nature Project – COproductioN with NaturE for City Transitioning, INnovation and Governance was launched. The overarching objective of this action is to position Europe as a global leader in the innovation and implementation of nature-based solutions. Two of the 29 partners are Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan and City of Poznan (read more).
- The study on implementation of the ecosystem services approach into the Polish legal system and the challenges related to the implementation has been published in February 2018 (see the paper).
- The 5th Scientific Symposium "Ecosystem services in transdisciplinary approach" – ECOSERV 2018 took place on 17-19 September 2018 in Poznan. The ECOSERV Symposia are hold every two years and focus on new research in ecosystem services, including the methods, tools, models and implementation (see the conference webpage).
- The study identifying drivers of the ecosystem services approach in Poland and perception by practitioners has been published in October 2018 (see the paper).
In October 2018 General Directorate for Environmental Protection organized the conference "Ecosystem Services - Potential of Landscape" devoted to European Landscape Convention implementation in Poland